TOPIC: homelessness & human trafficking
October 14 & 21, 2017
41 participants joined our first SIS!
- 28 UC San Diego and 13 high school students were divided into 8 teams
- The group was quite diverse with many international students hailing from India, China, Mexico, United Arab Emirates, Singapore, and Somalia.
- UC San Diego students are majoring in Math, Engineering, Computer Science, International Studies, Biology, Cognitive Science, Neuroscience, and Psychology.
- High school students came from Bishop's, Helix Charter, Francis Parker, Canyon Crest, and Pacific Ridge Schools.
- Some have been very close to homelessness and human trafficking.
DAY 1: Empathizing, Defining, Ideating & Prototyping
DAY 2: Learning Entrepreneurial skills & pitching ideas to a panel of experts
Know Idea created a shuttle system with stops featuring food pantries, clinics, and shelters
The Heart House developed a space integrated into a shelter but set aside as an intentional community center for homeless individuals
Make A Change 101 offered university support to help youth transitioning out of foster care learn financial literacy to avoid the cycle of homelessness